VP of Operations
VP of Operations
You are an experienced, people-driven VP of Operations with a proven track record in multi-discipline/marketing services organizations. You can evidence an ability to drive growth and profit consistently and in a controlled manner, while managing a happy and motivated team and set of clients.
You are a clear analytical and strategic thinker with an aptitude for problem-solving and decision making.
You also have outstanding organizational and leadership abilities.
Reporting to the Managing Director, you will manage a multi-disciplinary team, comprising strategy, creative, content, digital, inside sales and data Centers of Excellence. These teams are responsible for executing large scale, integrated B2B marketing programs that deliver measurable commercial outcomes for our clients (large, global IT and business services organizations).
Your driving forces will be operational excellence, profitability and client and team satisfaction. As such, you will ensure that the business and all supporting functions have a clear and effective operating model, everyone knows their roles and responsibilities, and management governance reinforces best practice and ensures all outputs are fit-for-purpose.
Your initial team will be about 20 people based in the US, with a view to grow this significantly over a 3-year plan. You will be responsible for building the capabilities we need to fulfil client demand and deliver excellent service.
Additionally, you will be responsible for working with other countries and stakeholders, including our COO in the UK, to deliver a consistent operations plan based on a blueprint of operational excellence. Key to the role is defining and executing a plan for effective international collaboration within our business.
You will be a member of the company’s senior management team and effectively the second-in-command in our rapid-growth US business.
Skills & responsibilities…
- Commercially astute both internally and externally, used to managing an operation with revenues of $5m+, and manage growth of 30%+ year-on-year
- Able to spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective operational improvement strategies involving people, processes and systems that support growth with quality
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving towards clarity and solutions; demonstrated by resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Experience managing international operations
Team Leadership and Management
- Managing people will be natural for you, you will be able to inspire confidence within your team, foster high levels of team morale and provide mentoring as a cornerstone to developing their skills and careers. You’ll have an ability to train and support junior/inexperienced members of the team.
- The team have clear plans in place and you direct, challenge and support to ensure their successful implementation. You demonstrate strong line management ability and encourage that in your direct reports.
- Strong evidence of effective recruitment and team building – at scale and pace.
- Recognized ‘A’ player.
- Open, energetic, honest, curious, natural listener are all traits that describe your operating style.
- Leadership – ability to inspire, engage and bring others with you.
- Manages to outcomes not tasks.
- 15+ years previous agency/client-side experience, at least 4 years with one organization.
- Experience of managing large scale, multi-discipline service/marketing teams, delivering $10m+ of revenue and achieving periods of rapid growth.
- Line management of people responsible for teams/departments of 10+ people.
- Successful recruitment of multi-disciplinary roles, at various levels.
- Held previous leadership positions and a track record of growth with quality.
- Experience working with international teams successfully.
- Experience working in the B2B technology sector.
Key Performance Indicators
- Utilization of resources – per plan and targets.
- Client recovery & write off improvements.
- Internal and external SLAs for multi-disciplinary teams.
- Staff satisfaction 11+.
- Client satisfaction as it relates to delivery of services 11+.
In 12 months?
- We have a high performing marketing delivery machine which consistently delivers great commercial outcomes for our clients, high levels of customer satisfaction and is profitable.
- Our US business is leading the way in delivering our company vision – specifically as it relates to commercial outcomes for clients and for our own business.
- We are seeing consistent, stable profitability that allows for investment in growth activities.
- We have a clear, efficient and profitable way of working with our foreign businesses.
- The teams’ skills are understood and career development programs are in place to develop them further.
- The team is feeling good! They feel they have an operations coach they can turn to for advice and guidance on how to develop their service and scale their teams.
- Batchelors degree or equivalent
Paid Time Off
- Federal and State holidays (9 days)
- Christmas Shutdown (4 days)
- Paid Vacation (20 days)
- Paid Sick Leave (1 hour for every 40 hours worked)
- 6 weeks’ full pay after 12 months of service
Transportation Subsidy (parking or bus pass)
- $100/mo if working 5 days/week
- $80/mo if working 4 days/week
- $60/mo if working 3 days/week
- Medical Insurance - Regence BlueShield Premier 1000
- Dental Insurance – Delta Dental PPO
- Vision Insurance – VSP Signature Plan
- Life Insurance - $15,000 included with Medical enrollment
- AD&D Insurance - $15,000 included with Medical enrollment
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Health and Dependent Care
- Eligible immediately following your date of hire
- TMP matches 100% on the first 1% of Employee contribution
- Refreshments on site
- Company away days
- Organized social committee events
About The Marketing Practice
The Marketing Practice was founded in the UK in 2002 to fulfil a vision of a marketing agency that is “fanatical about sales focussed marketing that delivers tangible sales results”. In 2016 we opened our US agency based in Seattle, and have since grown it to a team of 20 and revenue of $3m+.
As a company, we are leading the development of B2B marketing. Our clients are relying increasingly heavily on our knowledge, ideas and delivery. Our clients are among the most experienced and sophisticated marketers in the IT and Services industries. They look to us to deliver integrated marketing programs that really make a difference to their business results (often changing the way that marketing is delivered and perceived).