Associate Director, Strategy
The Marketing Practice Overview
We firmly believe that The Marketing Practice (TMP) is the best place for B2B marketers. We are one of the fastest-growing and most-awarded B2B marketing agencies in the world, working with exciting companies like Microsoft, Salesforce, and O2 on cutting-edge global programs from our three international offices. And because of that growth and scale, there are heaps of opportunities for ambitious, committed marketers to succeed and grow at TMP – whether that means taking the next step on your career ladder, working with experts across marketing disciplines to develop new skills, or on-the-job learning with our bespoke TMP Academy training program.
Summary of role
The Associate Director, Strategy is a critical Agency position, impressing and advising clients with smart marketing strategies that deliver results. You are a critical liaison both internally and externally, bringing the sizzle and the glue that excite teams about the opportunities, and lay the foundations for success. You excel at synthesizing complex marketing challenges into clear action plans, and you find inspiration in solving B2B tech marketing challenges. You are a master at bringing teams together and getting them excited about a plan. Your smart strategies meet the needs for both project managers and creatives alike, while also inspiring clients.
You will have a particular passion for building growth strategies in a B2B marketing context. Everything we do as an agency is about contributing clearly to our clients’ growth – particularly through demand generation, account-based marketing and partner marketing. As such, a Strategy role at TMP isn’t just about defining the strategy up-front, it’s about supporting multi-year programs and being responsible for their improvement and optimization.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Internal team leader and client partner with a focus on advising and collaborating with senior clients and agency partners. Responsible for framing complex engagements, defining strategies, and formulating recommendations for solving client marketing needs.
- Responsible for quality execution as well as thought leadership around our strategy work and deliverables. Lead and contribute to development of overall strategy offering.
- Lead broad program discovery, definition, and development based on a strong background in planning integrated campaigns and executive communications across a variety of marketing channels.
- Lead workshops with our clients’ marketing and sales teams, to inform the strategy and review/refine program performance.
- Design communications programs including audience segmentation, goal-setting, competitive positioning, content roadmaps, etc.
- Provide support for messaging development, content strategy, long-term editorial planning, content development and writing/editing.
- Lead engagements with senior clients and business development opportunities to identify marketing opportunities.
- Lead and collaborate with other members of the TMP and Client team to elicit best-in-class strategy, program development, creative, execution and data/analytics to drive client’s success
- Partner with Client Director to develop plans for growing account engagements over time, and with the Managing Director to build strong/healthy teams to support clients
- Deliver 1:1, small group and large group training sessions around personal brand, marketing, and executive communications
- Develop client learning roadmaps and build organizational alignment around opportunities
- Partner with Creative team to develop content and design strategies and editorial plans for campaigns and programs
- Encourage and mentor junior team members to learn and grow within their craft
Skills & Experience Required
- Understands core, foundational marketing principles and buying journey
- Shows a strong understanding of strategy development for B2B programs
- Is a naturally talented and inquisitive desk researcher
- Understands the principles of demand generation, account-based marketing and partner marketing (ideally all three, but at least two)
- Has the ability to undertake campaign journey mapping
- Ability to develop and recommend strong, impactful KPIs and measurement frameworks, and partner with data teams to ensure ability to execute
- Proficient at synthesizing large amounts of ideas, data, and information into simple, but powerful, strategic ideas
- Thrives in a highly collaborative cross-functional team
- Supports the creative and content roles, and the client delivery teams at TMP with actionable strategic direction
- Owns the responsibility for the quality of briefing, the insight that underpins it, and being able to elicit creative potential via smart strategy.
- Excellence in presenting insights, strategy, and ideas to senior clients
- Enthusiastic about interviewing knowledge holders to extract and prioritize the most useful insights.
About The Marketing Practice
The Marketing Practice was founded in the UK in 2002 to fulfill a vision of a marketing agency that is “fanatical about sales focussed marketing that delivers tangible sales results”. In 2016 we opened our US agency based in Seattle and have since grown it to a team of 24 and revenue of $3m+.
As a company, we are leading the development of B2B marketing. While our clients are among the most experienced and sophisticated marketers in the IT and Services industries, they are also increasingly relying on our knowledge, ideas and delivery. They look to us to deliver integrated marketing programs that really make a difference to their business results (often changing the way that marketing is delivered and perceived).