The Marketing Practice Overview
We firmly believe that The Marketing Practice (TMP) is the best place for B2B marketers. We are one of the fastest-growing and most-awarded B2B marketing agencies in the world, working with exciting companies like Microsoft, Salesforce, Xerox, Citrix and O2 Business on global programmes from our four international offices. Clients come to us for our expertise in account-based marketing, demand generation and channel marketing; as well as for our mindset of creating value and inspiration for our clients, all the time. We always put our clients and their results first.
There are heaps of opportunities for ambitious, committed marketers to succeed and grow at TMP – whether that means taking the next step on your career ladder, working with experts across marketing disciplines to develop new skills, or on-the-job learning with our bespoke TMP Academy training programme.
The Senior Strategist is a highly experienced member within the Strategy team with a key specialism (i.e. ABM, Channel Marketing, Demand Generation, Data & Analytics) that the wider team, business and clients benefit from.
A specialist owner, team mentor and workshop lead, the Senior Strategist unlocks some of the hardest client challenges, proactively creates new commercial propositions and leads the best practice for their given specialism within the agency and with clients.
Job duties and responsibilities
Unlocking the hardest client challenges and successfully managing them through the business (40%)
- Acting as Senior and Consultative resource to work on key projects requiring a higher level of experience, authority and specialism
- You can run end-to-end consultancy projects such as TMP PRO and TMP ABM
- Ability to run Sprints (5-day workshop series) that aims to provide clear direction to key market challenges and works to a set methodology.
- Key Strategy resource for client RFPs, freeing up Strategists and Planners to work on day-to-day client activities.
- Ability to successfully onboard new clients and bring through Strategists and Planners to take the lead after initial settling in period.
New proposition development (20%)
- Investing time to develop new commercial propositions that can drive new conversations with (new) senior client stakeholders
- Tailoring these new propositions to specific clients and working with Client Directors to identify who to take them to.
Act as the agency ambassador for a key specialism (i.e. ABM, Channel Marketing, Demand Generation, Analytics, Communications Planning etc) (20%)
- Ensuring TMP colleagues are provided with Best Practice guides and materials to support conversations around a given specialism.
- Authoring best practice guidance on TMPs eLearning channel TMP Academy
- Being the go-to resource to be pulled into opening new client conversations around your key specialist area, and able to share key methodologies and success stories based on experience in introductory meetings or dedicated workshops.
- Keeping up with the latest trends on your given specialism whilst providing a clear POV to internal teams and clients looking for guidance
- Positioning yourself as part of the TMP’s thought leadership externally by writing blogs, sharing industry best practice and market-leading campaigns, attending networking events and sharing awards success
Mentoring Planners/Strategists (20%)
- Supporting the development of Strategist on your key specialism
- Acting as an authority to ‘bounce-off’ for junior members of the team, offering suggestions and potential approaches and solutions to challenges by drawing upon experience and lessons learned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Should be an expert in a core B2B Marketing Specialism such as ABM, Demand Generation, Channel Partner Marketing, Communications Planning, Analytics etc
- You’ll need to be able to be the sole senior TMP (not just Strategy) resource during interactions with any client, and any level of seniority.
- If no senior resource is available from other TMP depts your knowledge of TMP process and B2B marketing best practices should allow you to support them on next steps, who should do what, how to defend and clarify approach confidently and convincingly to the client marketing but also sales, presales and business contacts – ‘we do it like this because’.
- Be the kind of person our most senior marketing and business contacts can chew the fat with when discussing the latest trends and best practice in B2B marketing, TMP’s approach and ethos. Be able to at a moment’s notice sketch out our position in key areas (including all our different areas of delivery) and offer enthusiasm or healthy scepticism where it is due.
- Understand how our clients’ businesses run in greater detail than just ‘need to know’ – e.g. sales and marketing methodologies, annual planning processes, the typical obstacles to success internally for them, the specific industry issues they face. Be able to share best practice from across clients in these areas (as an outsourcer they are also prepared to pay a premium for this).
- Much of the above has involved problem solving and fixing. You should also be able to think in systemic terms, not just ad hoc problem solving. You should know how to spot process faults, cross departmental challenges and skill gaps in the business when they become apparent through your planning role but be able to play a more active role in fixing the big issues not just raising them.
- Minimum of 10 years working in roles that demonstrates authority in directing teams and leading on marketing strategy.
- At least 5-8 years of experience of B2B marketing planning, either within an agency or a client-side environment
- Strong understanding of complex B2B Sales and Marketing, the ICT and Services industries.
- Be experienced in and be able to confidently design and lead workshop style sessions with marketing and or sales & business stakeholders.